Currently in the midst of...

  • Michael = got braces this month and getting ready to start refrigeration apprenticeship
  • Jenny = school, and work, soccer and badminton
  • Gillian = work
  • Henry = busy with work

Friday, January 27, 2006

our new daughter

Last week, Michael and I went shopping at Old Navy (a big thing in our house as we don't get to go shopping for clothes very often ~ sports equipment is another story). I digress for a moment, but to set the scene, you must know the complete story. When Michael and Henry went to Port Huron for Silver Stick hockey a couple of weeks ago, Michael was supposed to dress up a little. The thing is, his cargo/khaki pants were a little on the tight side. I told Henry that the minute they were across the border, to go buy Michael some pants at Target or some other store.

I ask you...how difficult was this request?

After three days they return home with a new goalie stick, and a new goalie mask for Michael (it is really nice).

Me: Let's see your new pants, Michael.
(Michael and Henry look at each other ~ not with horror or anything though)
Henry: We didn't have time to look for pants.

So that is why Michael and I went shopping at Old Navy, to buy him pants (which we did).

On our way out of the store, we passed the girls clearance rack and happened to see a beautiful pair of jeans in Jenny's size. I did hesitate a moment or two, but with Michael's declaration of, "Jenny will really like those, Mom", I put them in the checkout pile with the mountain of other things.

When we got home and showed Jenny her new shirts and jeans, she did not put forth the exuberant display of emotion that I was looking for. I am not shopping for her again.

It turns out that my tomboy is perhaps turning a fashion corner and becoming a diva. Apparently, she is only wearing DARK DENIM and not the light stonewash color of jean. This coming from our daughter (notice the 'our') that wears thin capri's all winter long! I repeat...I am not shopping for her any more.

Now, sweet Emily from across the street stepped up and berated Jenny so that I did not have to say a word!

Emily: Jenny, what are you...nuts? those jeans are awesome! I would love those jeans! (think Joanna would notice if I switched Jenny for Emily ~ after all, they are the same size)

Yesterday, after talking to Joanna, I had Emily over and she tried on the jeans and happily took them home. What a nice (appreciative) girl.

Did I mention that I am not shopping for Jenny anymore?

3 comments:

megan said...

I have the same problem with Evelyn as you well know but there are days that I would trade her for either Jenny or Emily (who I consider to be two of the nicest girls I have ever met).

Anonymous said...

Emily is far, far, far, far, far and away the very, very, very most picky about clothes child anyone has ever met. While she has a plethora of redeeming features, no one should ever wish they had a daughter with her clothing tastes and ideas. She seldome gets dressed without crying and screaming and this has been going on since she could talk in sentences and demanded to wear party dresses and mickey mouse underware everyday. Count your blessings, because it absolutely cannot be worse than this re clothing choices
--Emily's Mom

Anonymous said...

You guys are making me very nervous....... Monica begs me every morning to "pick out" her clothes for school . Some days I wish she would just take the bull by the horns and make her own decisions sometimes as I have limited amount of time in the mornings that I go to work. I shall be thankful and "gratefully" pick out her clothes. Thanks all you mothers of picky "I'm not wearing that to school" girls !!!!!!
Shelley