Currently in the midst of...

  • Michael = got braces this month and getting ready to start refrigeration apprenticeship
  • Jenny = school, and work, soccer and badminton
  • Gillian = work
  • Henry = busy with work

Thursday, January 12, 2006

firmer with age!

Unfortunately, I am not talking about my body or any of its' parts!

I am finding that as I age, I have more tolerance for some things and less for others.

Take yesterday, for example. The dealership bodyshop phones at 3:30 to say that our van is finished (a new rear end). They also nicely say that they close at 5:00 and that I should drop by the automobile rental place first to drop the replacement off. Well, nice stay-at-home Mom that I am, tell them that I will be there.

Henry and I made arrangements that I would drive the replacement van to the rental place, then meet him down the block at the dealership. I wanted Henry to make certain the van was fixed properly (you know how repair people look at women when they walk in the door).

I patiently wait in line when dropping off the replacement van. The boy (he is just a pup out of university ~ he's probably the manager or something!) tells me that he does not have valid authorization from Wawanesa (0ur automobile insurance people) and that I owe him over $400 for having the van for the week!

This is where my tolerance registers at about zero...

My determination must have registered on my face. I looked him in the eye and said, "I...don't...think...so".

Of course, Wawanesa was closed for the day, so he couldn't talk to our oh-so-helpful adjuster (I was told today that they are just soooo busy ~ well hire more for goodness sake!). I told him to either make arrangements or I would keep the van another day. He told me that I could not keep the rental van because my van was finished and Wawanesa would charge me for another day!

At this point, it is creeping towards five o'clock, and I am hoping Henry is at the dealership securing our own van. I give him a call to confirm...the rear window wiper isn't functioning.
Get with the program, people!!

Henry pushes them to fix it immediately (obviously, his tolerance is at about the same level as mine). Everything is ready...the dealership tells Henry that will be $500 (for the deductible).
(By this time, the rental place has let me go on my own recognizance ~ who says I can't be firm?!, and has driven me to the dealership). About the deductable, let me see..."I...DON'T...THINK...SO".

After my declaration that the insurance broker had told me the deductable would be waived, and that they wouldn't be seeing our VISA card...they let us leave as well.

This morning I was on the horn to our insurance broker, telling her to contact Wawanesa, get things sorted out, and finish up the claim.

It pays to be firm (and spend countless time running after everyone telling them how it's going to be).

Van is back (looks lovely by the way)...Wawanesa adjuster phones me to tell me everything is hunky doory...Henry and Michael pack up the buggy this afternoon and leave for Michigan for Silver Stick.

Life is good...now, if only my body could be firmer (I guess I'll have to do something about that myself ~ I'll put it on my list of things to do ~ really, I will)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay Gillian my families lunch will have to wait because after catching up on the Roefs life I feel it necessary to comment on the untruths. Anyone who reads this entry will agree that you cannot put such lies on this blog. First of all the only time you or Henry would use statements necessary of exclamations would be please borrow from us or how can we help you. Not for a minute do I believe that you would say I DON'T THINK SO unless it was someone not accepting a favor of you two. The only time you look at the pup in the rental office was that you thought he decerved a home cooked meal and probaly invited to dinner. As far as Henry and the wiper he told them to fix all right at their earliest convenience or not worry about it he could get the parts and do it himself. Gillain the phone call to the insurance adjustor was follow up by homemade cookies and a thank you for their help.
You two kind, generous, laid back people cannot publish such false statements and not expect a comment. Please know that all that read this know what kind of people you really are. A person who has benefited from you kindness. Have a good day!!!!!!!!

Gillian said...

too funny, Laura! (but thank you)