Currently in the midst of...

  • Michael = got braces this month and getting ready to start refrigeration apprenticeship
  • Jenny = school, and work, soccer and badminton
  • Gillian = work
  • Henry = busy with work

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Euphoria













Annual subscription to the London Free Press = $200.

One Grand Theater ticket for breakfast, reading and book signing with Best Selling Author, Diana Gabaldon = $10.

Parking by the theatre = $ 4.

Listening to, meeting, having book signed, and having photo taken with Diana Gabaldon = priceless.



I am in a state of euphoria right now. I just returned from meeting Diana Gabaldon, best selling author of the “Outlander” series. Diana spoke to the audience (about 1000 fans) about how the series came about. It is amazing to me, how books come together in stages and from life experiences (a kilt fetish, a historic time-period, and watching a British television program “Dr. Who” helped set the stage for the series). This series centers around a kilt-wearing larger than life (in many ways…eh em…) Scotsman. Need I say anymore about why I started reading this series?

Diana is very humourous, both in person and in her writings. Although her books have historical settings, she makes history fun to read (otherwise I wouldn’t be able to get through them – History is my least favorite subject).

If you have not read this series (and yes, there will be more to come, according to Diana), it is best to read from book number one.

OUTLANDER
DRAGONFLY IN AMBER
VOYAGER
DRUMS OF AUTUMN
THE FIERY CROSS
A BREATH OF SNOW AND ASHES

One of Diana’s characters, Lord John is so popular, she created a spin-off, LORD JOHN AND THE PRIVATE MATTER. There will be two more books to follow this one.

Not even knowing that thirteen pre-teen girls will soon be descending on to our home for a birthday Halloween sleepover (make that wakeover), will burst my euphoric bubble. It might just give me the strength to get through the night, and most importantly, through the day tomorrow.

Floating, floating…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this series too. Havent read the latest one yet...but even though I am a fan, I have to admit through most of the Fiery Cross I was sort of rooting for the death of Jamie and/or Claire....I mean how many times can we wade through another incident of someone/something trying to kill/rape those two!!
Joanna

Anonymous said...

Gillian,
Holy Shit, it's Tuesday, and still no entries since Saturday!
No trick or treating in Ingersoll?
Is Henry no longer entertaining / drinking all night with several women?
What's up, the suspense is killin me .....