Currently in the midst of...

  • Michael = got braces this month and getting ready to start refrigeration apprenticeship
  • Jenny = school, and work, soccer and badminton
  • Gillian = work
  • Henry = busy with work

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Impressed vs obsessed

I impressed my husband, Henry, on Tuesday.

With all the things lately that constantly need fixing, replacing, creating, or installing…I think Henry finally reached his limit with our endless requests. After I was the third one to tell him about the broken toilet, he said to me, “What would you do if I was not here?”

Okaaaay then….

A little perturbed, I said that I would take the lid thingy off the toilet tank and look inside to see why the toilet wasn’t flushing (the handle did not have any tension on it). Of course, I left it at that, hoping he would get his butt in there at once to fix it. Not a huge rush, mind you, as we have two other fully functioning washrooms. (Having a handy husband, as I do, creates an atmosphere of ‘gotta have it fixed NOW’ before you sit down and watch the hockey game).

Henry ate supper and went downstairs to watch the hockey game.

Mmmm…Okaaay then…

I marched into the bathroom, took the toilet lid off, and peered inside. The chain was not broken and still attached…therefore should be in working order. CSI Mom that I am, I traced the working parts back towards the outer handle. VOILA,…problem solved. OK…not solved, just ‘found’. The lever just inside the tank was cracked and almost severed through at the turn.

I was pretty proud of myself. When Henry came upstairs in the intermission, I told him I had found the problem.

Henry turned around from the popcorn preparation and said that he was impressed that I actually took the initiative to look for the problem! Of course, I told him what was broken, but that it would go on the list for him to actually ‘fix’! He just laughed.

I will wait…Henry is usually really good about fixing things right away. If he takes a little longer than I want him to, I just go grab a bunch of his tools (mainly the Dewalt drill thingy) and head to the area that needs ‘fixing’. Henry usually stops whatever it is that he is doing, to come and stop me from making the problem worse (although after 14 years of marriage, I think he is catching on to this ploy of mine).

Addendum:

I wrote this yesterday to post on the blog today.

You can imagine my surprise when Henry literally blew by me, carrying a Home Hardware bag, to the bathroom when he got home from work yesterday. I heard the words, “I am Mr. Fix-It. I must keep ahead of the blog!”

I thought this was the funniest thing I had ever seen him do…

Without missing a beat (he fixed the upstairs toilet – I was right…it needed a new lever).

Now, my husband and I think on the same wave-length, and he knew what I was going to do next (i.e. get the camera to capture this for the blog). As I ran to get the camera, he literally ran downstairs to the other bathroom (the constantly running toilet had been driving him nuts for weeks) with his Home Hardware bag of goodies.

Can you believe what he did next?

He ran into the bathroom (with me hot on his heels with the camera) and LOCKED the door on me! He claimed that there would be no pictures of him and the toilet on the blog.

He threw out the door the empty packages and told me I could take photos of them! (I had already hid the upstairs toilet lever package for this very purpose!) Does he know me well, or what?

In my opinion, this blog obsession is definitely working in my favor. I might not need to go get his tools anymore when I want something fixed…

oh, and by the way, everybody…thanks for mentioning the hockey net blog to Henry at hockey practice last night…

No comments: