Currently in the midst of...

  • Michael = got braces this month and getting ready to start refrigeration apprenticeship
  • Jenny = school, and work, soccer and badminton
  • Gillian = work
  • Henry = busy with work

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Role model for our Jenny...




When I was small, the Olympics were a big deal in our household (even though my Dad did not particularly enjoy viewing any sport). I find that nowadays, the Olympics doesn't have the usual 'buzz' that it did in times past.

Even though I am guilty by not watching the events on television, I always check the newspaper to see how Canadian athletes are doing. I was so proud to read that Jennifer Heil has won a gold! Although, I must admit that I am one of those people who also want to know who came in twentieth and lower. Gold is nice, but it still takes an amazing amount of dedication to get to the Olympics...period.

It is bad enough that Americans seem to hog the spotlight at the Games, but I was disheartened to hear that at the podium, the announcer introduced her as "The gold medallist . . . from the United States of America . . . "

That kinda puts a damper on things, I would think.

However, she looked on the positive side (i.e. did not bitch and complain) "Hopefully they will raise the Canadian flag instead of the American one," the Albertan said of tonight's medal presentations in Turin.

Can you believe that she missed the last Olympics by 1/100th of a second?

This girl has had this Olympic dream since she was six years old. Talk about dedication...
With all the publicized, money-making team sports out there, these individual athletes somehow deserve more.

With our Jenny starting to zip down the hills on her new snowboard, I'm glad she will have role models such as this!

What an inspiration...

No comments: