Currently in the midst of...

  • Michael = got braces this month and getting ready to start refrigeration apprenticeship
  • Jenny = school, and work, soccer and badminton
  • Gillian = work
  • Henry = busy with work

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

a sunny day

Guarding the laundry room

My own version of the 'Apprentice'

From one extreme to the other…today is a sunny day (both inside and out). The fatalities from yesterday boiled down to one hair drier that is pooched (yes, I told Henry… with a minimum raised eyebrow reaction…he is determined to perform CPR tonight to bring it back to life). Of course, I only told him AFTER he fixed the drier and seemed to be in a relatively good mood (do I know my husband, or what?).

Life is thrown off kilter when you aren’t surrounded by working appliances! It is amazing how reliant I am on such things. Never thought I would be admitting that I am happy doing laundry! (I’m sure this statement is going to come back and bite me in the butt at some time). Life is good when the hot water heater, water softener, kettle, coffee maker, dishwasher, washer/drier, fridge, freezer, stove, mixer, crock-pot, and toaster are all in working order! When I am able to run them in unison…well, a good day is sure to result! Company is then appreciated to see the results of my labor…then there’s that sinking feeling when you stay in your jammies all day playing on the computer or reading a book, and the doorbell rings. Will it be the neighbor or friend that just drops in for a drink, and won’t care what the place looks like? Or, will it be someone that looks at the house first (sinking feeling) and then at you? To make a long story shorter, I did pull myself together yesterday by leaving the house and volunteering at the school library! When I returned home, I put Jenny in the living room, Michael in the kitchen, and I cleaned out the laundry room so Henry could look at the drier. Now there are six laundry baskets of clean clothes waiting to be folded and put away in our bedroom (Oh well, door can be closed if the doorbell rings!)

My plan was executed beautifully in less than one hour. Henry arrived home to a roast in the oven (always, ALWAYS bribe Henry with food!) and a clean house. VOILA!
Drier fixed, low and behold…company in the form of Uncle Will dropped by! (no sinking feeling, A. the house was clean, B. he comes to visit US, not the house). We were off to Jenny’s hockey practice (she is just getting better and better with her stick handling), and then home to watch Las Vegas and Medium.

Michael was pleased to see a full bowl of poured Alpha Bits on the counter this morning before school. He commented on how nice it was. Then he went to add milk…oops…no milk. Sorry honey! For those of you that do not know Henry well enough, he has fried eggs and a bowl of Alphabits every morning (mind you, he would eat a lot more if I would drag myself out of bed to make him a substantial breakfast…of course, after fourteen years of marriage, we can’t start that now, can we?) Those of you that know ME, know that sleep is my top priority! Reminder…must grocery shop today.

Like my friend Megan, I don’t know where all the groceries go in this house. Anyways, that might be food for thought (ha ha) for tomorrow’s blog…

3 comments:

megan said...

You are soooo lucky to have a husband who can fix stuff. If he were mine I would get my butt out of bed for pancakes and bacon every day.:)

Gillian said...

Henry is soooo NOT reading the comment section today.

Anonymous said...

Gillian: I must say this is a huge undertaking....this must be a requirement for your course!!! Jerry at work was interested in finding out how much it cost to set up this site. I just dropped dad off at home, he had to see Dr Patodia for his yearly vision checkup and couldn't drive. It is a shame I can't e-mail you pictures yet from my camera...I framed in the hallway and closet in our bedroom. Construction starts next week! Bye for now...Colin