Currently in the midst of...

  • Michael = got braces this month and getting ready to start refrigeration apprenticeship
  • Jenny = school, and work, soccer and badminton
  • Gillian = work
  • Henry = busy with work

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

shower time...


On Saturday we all got together to celebrate Katie's upcoming marriage. The Roefs' girls threw a bridal shower for the first niece to be getting hitched.

Showers are all sweetness and light socializing until it comes time for games. It's funny how everyone grumbles and complains about these silly games, but once started...lookout!

I, too, readily admit that I am one of 'those' people. After all, why not give it your all to win that beautifully wrapped prize of toilet paper at the end?

The claws come out of even the nicest people when playing any type of game. Women will find a way to reinvent (i.e. cheat) the game in order to win. After a few alternate 'ways' were shown during one game (Colleen), I knew I had to step up my game. Michael may have been playing hockey that day, but that was nothing to the tournament I was in. Bring it on!

Ah ha. The unscramble a word game. I had it made. After all, I am an English major. Never mind that my sisters-in-law are pharmacists, nurses, mathematicians, hair stylists, and figure skating coaches. Nope. I had this one in the bag. Or so I thought...

Can you believe that there was a three-way tie? And I was not one of the winners????? I hang my head in shame. Well, not quite...I was only one word away from being in the winning circle. I conceed that the bride-to-be, who is up to her eyeballs in wedding plans, quickly picked out all the wedding words and descrambled them faster than I did.

On to the next event. Ladies were leaning forward in their chairs now. Not one person said, "Oh, I don't want to play this game." Noooo...our ears and eyes were wide open to the instructions (notice I did not say rules?) of the next game.

Rolling of the dice...doubles...grab a wrapped prize...once prizes are taken...steal from each other.

GLOVES ARE OFF! GILLIAN NEEDS TO REDEEM HERSELF...

No mercy is given to anyone...there are three prizes in all (roll of toilet paper, pez, and a lovely vase).

Lovely, is it not?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get confused by all those Roefs...whose daughter is Katie?
-Joanna

Gillian said...

Katie is the eldest to Will and Deb from the area where the pond is, where Cory took a mud bath from the canoe.

You have every right to be confused! Just Henry's side has 18 nieces and nephews!

By the way...I have sitting on my drier (nicely washed and dried I might add)...YOUR Florida towel.

I'll deliver it one of these days!