Currently in the midst of...

  • Michael = got braces this month and getting ready to start refrigeration apprenticeship
  • Jenny = school, and work, soccer and badminton
  • Gillian = work
  • Henry = busy with work

Thursday, May 25, 2006

light on the horizon...




For our Canadian Long Weekend, we go exploring Michigan.

This time, we decided to visit an area we had not been to before.

Tawas State Park is located on a sandy peninsula with Lake Huron on one side and Saginaw Bay on the other.

Our campsite backed on to Saginaw Bay. Therefore, we anticipated wind. What we got was WIND! However, the dismal weather forecast of rain held off for the most part. Rain fell Saturday night.

The best part about this park...is the lighthouse!

You know me...I love lighthouses!

We lucked out while walking the trail to go see the lighthouse; it happened to not only be open for viewing, but we were able to sign up for a tour! I was in heaven.

Up eighty-odd metal circular stairs to the lantern at the top of the light. Nut that I am, I videotaped our 'host' that informed us of the story of the lighthouse and light that came from France.

Henry barely managed to maneuver the space to take a picture of Colin, Sue and I in the very tiny place at the peak of the light.

Even though he went on the tour for me, Henry ended up enjoying the tour almost as much as I did!

Henry, being the devoted husband he is, bought me a replica lighthouse for our lighthouse bathroom from the little gift shop.

Sunsets were fabulous...I enjoyed my drink in the trailer out of the wind.

I know that this post is all about what I enjoyed and what I did all weekend...but, yes, Michael, Jenny, Ben and Andrew WERE there! They spent most of the weekend playing lacrosse, playing at the playgrounds, combing the beaches, digging craters in the sand, and watching movies when the wind threatened to lift them off the ground and cart them off down the yellow brick road to OZ.

The 'hole'...

"Mom, do we have a blanket we can use outside?"

"For what exactly?"

"Just outside, to play with."

"No."

The outcome of this conversation...Here is the homemade lacrosse net: two picnic tables and Jenny's Scooby Doo bed sheet!

Jenny and Ben...

Michael ...

Andrew...

Sue and I went into town shopping for groceries and had a hard time not spending more money on alcohol than food! I was SOOO tempted to get the Bailey's Mint Chocolate, but I decided to spend the $22 dollars on steak for dinner to feed my family instead! This was a very hard decision for me! I opted to try the new International toffee caramel creamer. I am still regretting that decision, especially since my brother Colin and Henry spent most of Saturday on a bike ride together (i.e. scoping out the bars in town and watching hockey on t.v.) While the boys were MIA, we were beachcombing...

Even our dog knows a good view when she sees one!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful location
--Joanna