Currently in the midst of...

  • Michael = got braces this month and getting ready to start refrigeration apprenticeship
  • Jenny = school, and work, soccer and badminton
  • Gillian = work
  • Henry = busy with work

Sunday, December 04, 2005

and then there were THREE...



The circle (O.K....triangle) is now complete.

There are three goalies in our family now! For a 7:00 a.m. practise, every single one of us got out of bed to assist Jenny in her new team role as goaltender. It was very cute seeing Michael and Henry helping her into her pads and putting the neck shield on her helmet. Through the glass, Henry and Michael were on the edge of their seats using all of their telepathic abilities to try to move her into the proper position to take each shot. Mother Hens, the two of them!

Yes, I am the only hold-out (in other words, the only one that has the natural instinct to duck or move when a projectile is about to hit any part of my body)! I received many a sympathetic glance and a few vocal words of disbelief that I had to endure such a lot in life. Hey, I don't mind...as long it's not me in that net!

Jenny's first time on the ice this morning as a goalie was surprisingly successful. Not that I had any doubt about her athletic ability, but being a goalie takes a particular type of temperment. One I have a little bit of worry about when it comes to our daughter. Jenny is very independent and lets people know how it is (bluntly, most of the time). I just hope her stick stays flat on the ice and does not end up wrapped around the neck of an unsuspecting player who scores once too many times on our new goaltender...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahah...sounds a bit like me!!! aha... congratulations jenny on a successful first time goalie experience...i never doubt your athletic abilily cause i know you take after me (and uncle henry i guess)!!! i just got a christmas tree and put up the stocking that jenny made me last year!! they are the only christmas decorations we have in the house!!! so thanks!! sending lots of christmas love! xoxox godmommy julie

megan said...

I don't have any idea what you are talking about. Jenny has always been very sweet whenever I have interacted with her.

Anonymous said...

well...my advice is to cease and desist providing dental care to these family members until they get over this phase!
-Joanna
ps...sorry, I was "anonymous" weighing in on the dress issue (with the suggestion of self-gifting)...realised right after I posted that I forgot to add my name

Gillian said...

Yes, Jenny is loving it so far! And yes, normally she is very sweet. However, she has a very, very strong competitive spirit!

The dental idea is not going to work, Joanna. Jenny would love the idea of not going to the dentist and I really think that Henry and Michael will be playing hockey forever. Of course, none of them would even remember going to the dentist if I didn't book them appointments! Phew, I'm glad that comment was yours, Joanna! I did not get a new dress: I wore the black one and we had an awesome Christmas party.