Currently in the midst of...

  • Michael = got braces this month and getting ready to start refrigeration apprenticeship
  • Jenny = school, and work, soccer and badminton
  • Gillian = work
  • Henry = busy with work

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Potter


Can you believe it...Michael actually BEAT me to finishing Harry Potter!

(I finished the book the first day back while we were at goalie camp.)

Of course, he was able to read in the back of the truck (while we were on holidays) for seven hours at a time...me, I was too busy checking out all the lighthouses enroute (this one is Cape Ray, Newfoundland)


History of the lighthouse (double click on the picture for a larger print reading)...you know that there is ALWAYS a history with each lighthouse! It still amazes me that families lived solitary lives to protect those on the water. Some lighthouse keepers were paid very well (Cape Spear, for example); others were not. Tomorrow, I'll post the Cape Spear info.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the ability to read the history on a larger picture. It has a real neat history. I have 2 questions.
1. what is a red day mark?
2. how large are the insects in Newfoundland that I could make one out on picture to the left? Is it on the sign or on the lens?

Jim

Gillian said...

Great questions! To answer number 2 first...yes, the bugs were very big in Newfoundland! I refer to Newfoundland as being to Canada, what Texas is to America (everything is bigger!)

I must admit that I had to double-check the red day mark reference...so I went here to http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=836

The red day mark is perhaps more recognizable for the boaters out there. There is a difference of a green beacon vs. a red one to mark channels. So this lighthouse should have a red 'rim' somewhere around the top of the lighthouse that indicates the channel to boaters. (The above link may explain more)
Cheers, Gillian

Gillian said...

for more info on red markers, you can also go to the Boater Exam...area 6.6.1

http://www.boaterexam.com/usa/northcarolina/education/c6-navigation.aspx

Gillian said...

see what happens when people ask me questions? I tend to find all kinds of info.

THAT is why I went back to school to become a librarian! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so to make it simple, the red day mark signifies that all boats should keep the lighthouse to their right approaching. Seeing that they just added the mark in 1998, the day marks must be new to the boating industry.

That was a neat link showing that one lighthouse with the incorrect colour.

Thanks for the answers, I now know a little bit more.

Jim